Hundreds of rebels have been killed in a Saudi-led coalition airstrike south of Marib, Yemen. The Saudi alliance made the claim on Wednesday (October 13th).

The Houthis have been battling for the third day in a row in the strategic city. The Saudi coalition says more than 108 Houthi rebels have been killed in the Abdia region. Besides, 157 rebels were killed on Monday and more than 134 on Tuesday. 

The news agency AFP and France 24 quoted the Saudi alliance as saying. About 400 insurgents have been killed in the region this week. Although analysts say there has been significant progress on the rebels. 

Saudi forces have had to rely on airstrikes to fight Shiite Houthis. It did not specify how they determined the number of casualties. AFPO could not independently verify this number.

The Saudi alliance told Al-Akbaria television that in the last 24 hours, it had carried out 19 operations targeting Houthis in the Abdia area. Twelve of their military vehicles were destroyed. More than 106 people were killed. 

Massive casualties have been reported in the fierce fighting that will hit the last stronghold of the internationally recognized government in Yemen. The Houthis have been campaigning for control of the region since last month. 

Read more: Shiite rebels say they have been able to reach the outskirts of the city in a video message on.

Political analyst Adam Baron said the Houthis had achieved significant territorial victory. Strategically and mentally it is an important achievement. Even a year ago, the area was considered very safe.

The seven-year war has brought disaster to Yemen. In 2014, the Houthis took control of the capital Sanaa, 120 kilometers west of Marib. Since then, the Saudi-led coalition has launched airstrikes.Thousands of Yemeni civilians have been killed. Millions have been displaced. The United Nations says the country is now on the brink of famine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.