The United States will continue its airstrikes against the Taliban in Afghanistan. The US military chief said.
All US troops will return from Afghanistan by September 9. But before that, the United States has been carrying out airstrikes in support of Afghan forces and against the Taliban. A top military official said airstrikes would continue in the coming weeks. However, he did not say whether there would be an air strike after August.
As US and NATO forces withdraw from Afghanistan, the Taliban are occupying one area after another. The Afghan army is not able to stick with them. Recently the Taliban has become more active. They have occupied the rural areas and now surrounded the regional capitals.
What America is saying
Speaking to reporters in Kabul, US General Kenneth McKenzie avoided a question. That is, will the US carry out this air strike even after August 31? “The United States will continue to support the Afghan army,” he said. That support will usually be by air. “
“The United States has been carrying out airstrikes against the Taliban for the past few days,” McKenzie said. “If the Taliban continue to attack, we are ready to escalate it in the coming weeks,” McKenzie said. “The next few days and weeks are very important.” But I don’t think there will be a civil war in Afghanistan. “
The situation in Afghanistan
Fighting also broke out near Kandahar on Sunday. Last month, 22,000 families fled their homes in search of safe haven. Six lakh 50 thousand people live in Kandahar. It is the second largest city in Afghanistan. From 1996 to 2001, the city was a stronghold of the Taliban. McKenzie has admitted that a US plane had crashed in Kandahar.
The human rights group Human Rights Watch said the Taliban were torturing civilians. However, Taliban leaders did not acknowledge it. But human rights groups claim that the way ordinary people are being detained and killed shows that they are being tortured. The human rights organization also said that ordinary people are leaving their homes out of fear.